I have been bothered by the ugly chinese font in Linux for these few days... Mozilla keep using the ugly monospace chinese font for rendering the English letters. It didn't use the beautiful font that I specified in the CSS. But then finally I "discovered" a little trick in HTML so that my page can be rendered correctly in Mozilla (in Linux) - add the "lang" attribute in the HTML tag! I found this magic trick from the AWStats that I used. The AWStats shows the chinese characters beautifully, so I read its source code immediately and found this attribute after several testings.
I'm not true if it confirms to the W3C XHTML standard... but at least it passes the almighty W3C HTML Validator.