Netvigator says no to HKBN's VoIP
What You Need to Know aboutResidential VoIP Broadband Phone Services
Dear Valued Customer,
You may be aware of certain new voice services marketed asVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesthat ride on the broadband networks of other Internet Service Providers (ISP) such as NETVIGATOR. As your broadband service provider, we feel it is important that you understand all the facts about this type ofVoIP Broadband Phone Serviceand the potential implications and impact they may have on your broadband service.
What You Need to Know:
In August this year, one of the largest
- The installation of theseVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesinvolve complex network settings, errors made during this process may lead to disconnection of your broadband service.
- TheseVoIP Broadband Phone Serviceshave not undergone compatibility testing and certification with NETVIGATOR, therefore it will not be possible for us to provide any related technical support.
- The division of broadband bandwidth by such services may directly result in a reduction of broadband Internet upload and download speeds.
- Unlike traditional fixed-line services, theseVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesdo not have independent power supply, during a power outage you will not be able to make emergency calls.
- The Hong Kong Police and other emergency services providers will not be able to trace and locate the caller if the installation address is changed without notifying theVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesproviders.VoIP Broadband Phone Servicesproviders in the U.S. suffered 2 major outages within 2 weeks, each lasting nearly 2 hours, and affecting its 200,000 customers. This is a clear example of the significant difference in service reliability between traditional fixed-line services andVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesthat ride on other ISP's network.
We also wish to remind you that you should not be connecting your NETVIGATOR Broadband service to any unauthorized device other than your personal computer, as this may affect the quality of your broadband service.
The Hong Kong Government currently intends to review regulations in relation to this type ofVoIP Broadband Phone Servicesto ensure that consumers' interests are protected.
At NETVIGATOR, we feel it is important to keep you abreast of new developments in the market so that you can make an informed decision. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call our customer service hotline at 1833 833.